Skip to content

Results:

301 - 310 of 393

Documents

December 14, 1962

Cable from Dutch Embassy, Washington (Van Roijen), 14 December 1962

The cable from van Roijen concerns a conversation between him and Director of UN Political Affairs at the U.S. Department of State Joseph Sisco. Sisco informs van Roijen that the Kennedy Administration has decided to let the Cuban issue quietly die, boiling down to the United States and the Soviet Union "agreeing to disagree." The State Department does not think there should be further debate on the issue in the UN Security Council because the U.S. is not willing to make further concessions while there have been no UN inspections. Sisco also reports that the Soviets have made a commitment to withdraw all combat troops from Cuba.

November 2, 1962

Cable from Dutch Embassy, Washington (Van Roijen), 2 November 1962

The cable concerns a conversation between Dutch Ambassador to the United States van Roijen and Director Ward P. Allen of the State Department's Bureau of Inter-American Regional Political Affairs, regarding further actions of the Organization of American States (OAS) in the aftermath of the Cuban crisis. Allen made note that he had very little information regarding Cuba and how Cuba would fit into future dealings with the OAS.

November 1, 1962

Cable from Dutch Embassy, Washington (Van Roijen), 1 November 1962

Dutch Ambassador to the United States J. Herman van Roijen sends a cable on a conversation he had with a member of the U.S. State Department. Firstly, the State Department was pleased to know Indonesian President Sukarno had not pledged support to Cuba during the crisis. Secondly, they hoped to make the point to Sukarno how alliance with the Soviets could not be relied upon, as the Cuban crisis and the Soviet abandonment of India have demonstrated. Thirdly, the Indonesian Ambassador Zain was going to pay six week visit to Jakarta, in an effort to promote U.S. economic support to Indonesia.

October 25, 1962

Cable from Dutch Embassy, Washington (Van Roijen), 25 October 1962

Van Roijen relates in this cable the details of a meeting with the US State Department's Bureau of Western European Affairs. With regards to Cuba, the Soviets assured the United States that they would not supply Cuba with offensive military weapons and even detailed the ranges of the missiles shipped. The construction of the bases was done in such haste that no attempt to conceal them was made, indicating the construction was on a time limit. These along with several other factors (the 1961 Berlin crisis, internal pressure within the Soviet Union) had convinced the administration that the Soviets had the fixed determination to confront the US.

October 24, 1962

Cable from Dutch Embassy, Washington (Van Roijen), 24 October 1962

This cable comes from Dutch Ambassador to the United States J. Herman van Roijen, regarding the subject of Cuba and the discovered Soviet missiles. Van Roijen reports on the current status of negotiations between the United States and the Soviet Union, noting that the Soviets are willing to dismantle the missiles in Cuba if the Americans would do for "obscolescent bases near Soviet territory." The State Department fervently denied that any such tradeoff would happen or was even being considered.

October 29, 1962

Message from Mexican Ambassador to the Organization of American States (OAS), Washington, enclosing memorandum of meeting of US Secretary of State Rusk with Latin American Ambassadors from 28 October 1962

A memorandum about Secretary of State Dean Rusk’s declarations during the meeting with the Latin American Ambassadors at the State Department on Sunday 28 October 1962. Rusk makes two points: the crisis situation in Cuba is not settled and nothing of what the United States says and does will alter its attitude towards the pressing situation in Cuba. At the end of the meeting, Rusk says that “the solidarity of the OAS had been a magnificent contribution to peace and that it had made a deep impression around the entire world, especially in Moscow," constituting an appeal for them to be discreet in their declarations to the press given that the situation facing the world continues being delicate.

December 5, 1960

Dispute Over Personnel Policy and Practices Culminates in Resignation of Radio Free Europe Top Management

The Munich Consulate-General provides its appraisal of turmoil in the RFE Czechoslovak Service and the ensuing replacement of the American management at RFE Munich

April 28, 1959

CIA-State Department Differences on Radio Free Europe Polish Broadcasts

Cord Meyer records sharply different views of the utility of RFE Polish broadcasts aired by State and CIA officials in a meeting with Assistant Secretary of State Foy Kohler on April 23, 1959

April 2, 1959

Review of Radio Free Europe Polish Broadcasts

Cord Meyer recounts conclusions of the June 2, 1958, session of the Committee on Radio Broadcasting Policy.

June 2, 1958

Voice of America and Radio Free Europe Polish Broadcasts Reviewed

Minutes of a Committee on Radio Broadcasting Policy meeting on April 17, 1958, focused on State Department criticisms of RFE broadcasts to Poland

Pagination